A Tertiary mammalian fauna from the Avawatz Mountains, California
The Tertiary mammal occurrence in the Avawatz Mountains, discovered in 1932 by H. W. Nickerson of Yucca Grove, California, was first reported to the Los Angeles County Museum. W. M. Strong, sent out by the Museum to make a preliminary survey in the area, assembled a small collection. All of the material was so scrappy, however, that interest subsided. Subsequently, in 1935, in the course of their archeological field studies, Mr. and Mrs. William H. Campbell of Twenty-Nine Palms rediscovered the fossiliferous locality on the south flank of the Avawatz Mountains. Very kindly drawing the attention of Mr. E. L. Furlong to their find, Mr. and Mrs. Campbell accompanied Mr. Furlong to the locality. During this first visit most of the material now in the collections of the California Institute of Technology was acquired. Since then several brief collecting trips have been made to the area.
School:California Institute of Technology
School Location:USA - California
Source Type:Master's Thesis
Keywords:geological and planetary sciences
Date of Publication:01/01/1938