The Promotion of Computerization in Universities
With the rapid development of internet and information technology, the era of automation and computerization of business has dawned. Consequently, electronic-business has become the key factor of competitive strength of the global business in the 21st century. In order to easily acquire information on business, simplify the work procedure, and improve efficiency, e-commerce should be promoted by the integration of information technology and network infrastructure so that the competitive strength of business can be enhanced. Under the influence of the computerization of business and government, the trend of e-campus has been growing in colleges and universities, and has become the principal focus of administration, teaching, research, student life, and learning environment on campus.
I interviewed several professors and officers who are in charge of computerization in their universities, to understand the meaning, purpose, process, problems, and key factors of e-campus. The results of the interviews are sorted as follows:
1. E-campus can be defined as the transformation of the school by which the efficiency of administration system, the e-learning environment for students, and the teaching and research environment for teachers will be improved to increase the competitive strength.
2. The purposes of e-campus are: (1) to provide services and information for faculty and students, (2) to simplify the document flow charts for high efficiency, productivity, downsizing, competitive strength, and low cost, (3) to equip students with the concepts and application of computerization for job creation, (4) to collect the campus information for management decision, and (5) to save energy and protect the environment.
3. E-campus should be proceeded in proper sequence¡Xfrom the simple to the complex and from the higher level to the lower level. The process has to be planned precisely, and the results be checked cautiously to assure the achievement of the goal. Therefore, it is necessary to establish an e-campus team for planning and administering.
4. The problems caused in the process are as follows--personal problems (such as age), changes of the organization, selection of software and hardware, equipments, net connection between campuses, and research and development for the new systems.
5. It is very difficult to measure the results of e-campus in quantity, but part of them are predictable, for example, the process time will be shortened, and the efficiency will be raised.
6. The key factors of e-campus can be classified into eight items, and six of them are in accordance with those of e-business. They are (1) professional team work for promotion, (2) participation and innovation of the members of organizations, (3) training of professionals, (4) establishment of a pilot unit, (5) reference to actually successful examples, and (6) methods and strategies to reach the goal and to satisfy the needs of the faculty and staff members. The other two differences between them are the support and insistence of managers and the continuous implementation.
7. The installation of objectives, planning and design, application of information technology are the essential points for attention. The safety of data deserves alertness because hackers and computer viruses will destroy the entire systems.
Key words: e-campus, information technology, computerization, Internet,
key success factor
Advisor:Fu-Ren Lin; Jen Chin Kaug; Don-Lin Yang
School:National Sun Yat-Sen University
School Location:China - Taiwan
Source Type:Master's Thesis
Keywords:e campus internet key success factor information technology computerize
Date of Publication:08/07/2002