Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education Historical Records
The Division of Continuing Education began its existence in 1921 when the Extension Division was established to consolidate the various attempts by faculty to extend educational opportunities to adults off campus and attempts at evening classes. The Division has experienced strong growth over the years and continues to offer quality continuing educational opportunities to adults within Brigham Young University's sphere of influence. This collection includes the annual reports for the Division of Continuing Education from 1955-2005. It also includes minutes of meetings of advisory councils, staff, and those of the Deans from 1973-1997. This collection has a lot of division publications and personal publications regarding continuing education. The rough draft and a bound manuscript of Richard Henstrom's Centennial History is also included. There are notes and reports from the division from 1955-1992 and there are course catalog entries and personnel directories from 1921-1996. The last two boxes contain bound dissertations about BYU's Continuing Education Division that were written for and presented to other universities. In the summer of 1921, the Brigham Young University Board of Trustees acted on a recommendation of President Franklin S. Harris to combine the University's early efforts to extend educational opportunities to adults in classes taught away from campus or during evening hours under a central administrative authority and created the Extension Division. Lowry Nelson was appointed as the Division's first director on a part-time basis. The Extension Division was divided into five sections under Lowry Nelson's leadership: correspondence instruction, lectures and entertainment, social service, charts and lantern slides, and Leadership week. Harrison R. Merrill became the acting director of the Extension Division in 1936 and served until 1938. Under his direction the publicity and news operations of the Extension Division were strengthened. Merrill died suddenly in 1938 and the Extension Division had a series of acting directors over the course of the next eight years: Seth T. Shaw, Carlton C. Culmsee, Thomas L. Broadbent, and Gerrit de Jong Jr. Harold Glen Clark was appointed director of the Extension Division in 1946 and served in that capacity for twenty-five years. It was during his tenure that the director of Extension Services became a full-time position (1951-52). During his tenure a number of new departments were created or strengthened and services were expanded at a rapid rate. Among the new departments were Travel Study; Study Abroad; Special Courses and Conferences; and Evening Classes. Other accomplishments were the development of off-campus programs, including four continuing education centers; an adult degree program; and the expansion of Education Weeks and Days to numerous locations. The audio-visual and publications areas were transferred to other administrative units of the University during this time period as well. In November of 1956 the name of the Division was changed to Adult Education and Extension Services and the position of director was changed to that of dean. The name Adult Education and Extension Services was changed to the Division of Continuing Education in September 1964. In 1971 Stanley A. Peterson was named dean of the Division of Continuing Education. During his tenure as dean, enrollments in the division more than doubled. Programs of international nature were expanded, including Study Abroad programs and centers, Travel Study programs, and literacy and service programs in Latin America. During an administrative realignment Peterson was given the additional responsibility of serving as dean of continuing education programs for the Church Educational System. Dean Peterson was replaced in 1977 by William R. Siddoway. Dean Siddoway served for eight years during which the division worked closely with the BYU administration in formulating mission statements and guidelines as well as assisting the various academic colleges in defining goals and strengthening the continuing education programs offered under their auspices. The annual Harman Lecture Series began under his leadership. It was under his direction that the Harman Continuing Education Building and the BYU Conference Center were planned and built. Richard C. Eddy replaced William Siddoway as dean in July 1985. Under Dean Eddy's leadership, the Division of Continuing Education experienced several university directed administrative changes and program policy reviews. The Division continues to offer quality continuing education opportunities to interested adults throughout Brigham Young University's sphere of influence. ; This collection includes the annual reports for the Division of Continuing Education from 1955-2005. It also includes minutes of meetings of advisory councils, staff, and those of the Deans from 1973-1984. This collection has a lot of division publications and personal publications regarding continuing education. The rough draft and a bound manuscript of Richard Henstrom's Centennial History is also included. There are notes and reports from the division from 1955-1992 and there are course catalog entries and personnel directories from 1921-1996. The last two boxes contain bound dissertations about BYU's Continuing Education Division that were written for and presented to other universities. This collection was donated to the Unversity Archives and arrived in cartons. The processor organized the collection by topics.
School:Brigham Young University
School Location:USA - Utah
Source Type:Master's Thesis
Keywords:brigham young university division of continuing education adult
Date of Publication: