Details

Biodiversidade de moscas Calliphoridae e muscidade no depósito de lixo urbano de Presidente Prudente, São Paulo, Brasil Biodiversity of Calliphoridae e muscidade from urban garbage dumps of Presidente Prudente, São Paulo, Brasil

by Dias, Leonice Seolin

Abstract (Summary)
The study of Calliphoridae and Muscidae biodiversity in the garbage dump of Presidente Prudente, São Paulo, Brazil, was carried out between March, 2006 and March, 2007. To that purpose, six traps made of plastic bottles with 2 L capacity, and containing bovine liver as attractive, were placed around the garbage discarding site. The total of Calliphoridae captured was 44,688. Chrysomya megacephala was the most frequent species (93.61%; n= 41,833) of fly, with significant differences (plt;0.05) between C. megacephala and C. albiceps (1.50%; n= 672) and C. putoria (0.79%; n= 352). There was influence of temperature and of rainfall on the C. megacephala population. In the coldest months, the capture of flies, especially C. albiceps e de C. putoria was extremely low. Regarding the Muscidae family, 1307 individuals were captured. Musca domestica was the most frequent species (99.6%; n= 1,302). The other 0.4% (n= 5) corresponded to Ophyra aenescens. The highest number of Muscidae was observed in the summer and in the springer. Thus, it is concluded that the garbage site of Presidente Prudente is an environment that gives conditions to maintenance of Calliphoridae and Muscidae, especially C. megacephala.
This document abstract is also available in Portuguese.
Bibliographical Information:

Advisor:Vamilton Álvares Santarém; Rosa Maria Barilli Nogueira; Raul Borges Guimarães

School:Universidade do Oeste Paulista

School Location:Brazil

Source Type:Master's Thesis

Keywords:Blow-flies Housefly Garbage Epidemiology

ISBN:

Date of Publication:04/23/2008

© 2009 OpenThesis.org. All Rights Reserved.